Ontario Charities 50/50 Raffle
Charities Lottery History
The origin of the Knights of Columbus Lottery can be traced back to the Knights of Columbus “Tombola” initiated in Ottawa in 1920 by Bayswater Council #1812. Although the lottery has undergone several iterations since its inception, the year 2020, marking its one-hundred-year anniversary, saw the annual provincial lottery undergo one of its most significant changes.
As of January 2021, the Ontario Knights of Columbus Charity Raffle, will feature a “50-50 Raffle” as opposed to a prize board as well as all sales going digital. While the lottery has adapted to our new social distancing reality, it remains committed to use the money raised to help its traditional charities. These include the Arthritis Society, Special Olympics Ontario, the Children’s Wish Foundation, and many other worthwhile charities. Click to see list.
Local Knights of Columbus subordinate councils participating in the sale of tickets will continue to receive a portion of the funds to help support local charities in their area.
There will be four quarterly draws in 2021. The next two final draws will be conducted electronically on September 30, 2021 and December 31, 2021, at 11:30 pm. The owner of the winning ticket will be given 50% of the total money raised.
In addition to the grand prize draw, there will be two early bird draws to be drawn on August 1, 2021 and September 1, 2021 each with three prizes ($500, $250 and $250). Similarly, on November 1, 2021 and December 1, 2021.
The names of the early bird and Grand prize-winning ticket holders will be posted on the Ontario State Website at www.ontariokofc.ca.
The Charities Lottery is provincially licensed under the Ontario Lottery & Gaming Commission and is administered by the Ontario State Office under the authority of the Foundation’s Board of Directors. Since the lottery program began, the Knights of Columbus Ontario Charities Foundation has donated over 11 million dollars to local non-profit organizations across Ontario.
Rules of Play for 50/50 Electronic Raffle
1. The lottery will take place online in a series of quarterly draws.
Proposed draw schedule:
- January 20,2021 – at 11:30 p.m. on April 1st, 2021
- April 2nd, 2021 – at 11:30 p.m. on June 30, 2021
- July 1st, 2021 – at 11:30 p.m. on September 30, 2021
- October 1st ,2021 – at 11:30 p.m. on December 31, 2021
There will also be “Early Bird” draws.
Proposed draw schedule:
- August 1, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. First draw: $ 500, Second draw: $ 250, Third draw: $ 250
- September 1, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. First draw: $ 500, Second draw: $ 250, Third draw: $ 250
- November 1, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. First draw: $ 500, Second draw: $ 250, Third draw: $ 250
- December 1, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. First draw: $ 500, Second draw: $ 250, Third draw: $ 250
2. Tickets can only be sold to people who are 18 years of age or older.
3. Online 50-50 tickets must be purchased in Ontario as this is a requirement for all suppliers. Provided the ticket is purchased by someone residing in Ontario they would be the winner of that prize. A person outside of Ontario is not permitted to buy an online 50-50 ticket for a draw licensed by the AGCO.
4. Tickets available for purchase are:
- 15 Tickets for $ 10.00
- 40 Tickets for $ 20.00
- 100 Tickets for $ 40.00
5. Tickets will only be available online on Ascend’s landing page.
6. Tickets will be sold using an electronic raffle system supplied by Ascend Fundraising Solutions.
7. After buying, patrons will receive a confirmation e-mail with their 50/50 registered ticket numbers from a Random Selection System. The numbers are generated randomly.
8. The winning ticket number will be selected by a computer Random Number Generation (RNG) system from all raffle numbers sold for the draw.
9. The amount of the 50/50 jackpot prize will be posted online at www.ontariokofc.ca
10. The winning number will be announced online at www.ontariokofc.ca
11. The winner may claim their prize by contacting the Ontario Charities Foundation at: 1-800-759-0959, or by email at: email@example.com. The winning ticket must be emailed to the Ontario State Office for verification. Winners must provide a copy of the original winning ticket. Along with the winning ticket, the winner must provide his/her name, address, and phone number with picture identification for our report sheet. All payments will be made by cheque.
12. The winning ticket holder has 6 months in which to claim their prize from the date of the draw their ticket was purchase for.
13. Once the certified winner is verified, and provides identification with photo ID, they will be given a cheque in the amount of the declared prize which is, at minimum, 50% of the total sales for that draw. If the winner cannot provide photo ID, then the winning proceeds will be held until such identification can be provided.
14. In the event that no winner comes forward, the winning stub will be kept in a safety deposit box and held for 6 months. After that time period has elapsed the prize will be donated to a charity other than Knights of Columbus Charities Foundation, with the approval of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).
15. The above set of rules will be posted online at www.ontariokofc.ca.
Ontario Problem Gaming Helpline (1- 888 – 230 – 3505)
2021 Charities 50/50 Online Raffle Authorized Donation Recipients
Non-Profit/ Pro-Life or Charitable:
Habitat for Humanity
Homes for the Aged
Meals on Wheels
Special Olympics Ontario
St Vincent de Paul
Catholic Christian Outreach
Catholic Missions Canada
The Martyr’s Shrine
Bursaries / Scholarships:
Community / Church:
Inner City Homes
Education / Research:
Birthright Pregnancy Service
Marguerite Bourgeoys Family Planning
Natural Family Planning (NFP)
Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies
Right to Life Association
Ontario Conference of Catholic Bishops